IBA Nominations are still being accepted!
We are seeking nominations for any site that meets the criteria as an in IBA, and has not been identified yet. The most important information needed is bird data from with in the past 5 years. If you have this, we’d like to hear from you. In particular, we are seeking information about the best sites in the state for these birds:
- American Woodcock
- Yellow-throated Vireo
- Louisiana Waterthrush
- Red-shouldered Hawk
- Black Rail
- Piping Plover
- Wilson's Phalarope
- Black-billed Cuckoo
- Wood Thrush
- Blue-winged Warbler
- Yellow-breasted Chat
- Swainson's Warbler
- Bald Eagle
- Rusty Blackbird—wintering
And for these sites and birds:
- Chicago River—migratory birds
- Upper Mississippi NWR—red-headed woodpeckers
What Qualifies a Site as an IBA?:
Click here to view a Detailed Explanation of Illinois Criteria (in .pdf format) to see if your site(s) may qualify. Here is an overview:
- Rare Species - site is important for rare breeding species.
- View the Species of Interest (in .pdf format) here.
- Migrant Birds - site is important for migrant birds.
- Learn more about nominating a Migrant Bird stopover site.
- Waterfowl - site hosts large concentrations of waterfowl (5,000+).
- Shorebirds - site hosts 2,000+ shorebirds at one time.
- Wading Birds - site has 100+ pairs of herons during the summer.
- Raptors - site records 1,000+ raptors during one season.
- Wintering Birds - site hosts high numbers of wintering species of concern.
- Rare Habitat- site represents a rare or unique habitat type.
How to Nominate a Site:
Please use the forms below to nominate a site. Please fill out the forms to the best of your ability. We understand that you may not have access to all of the information requested.
We encourage you to contact the IBA coordinator if you plan to submit an application, or for additional information: Rebeccah Sanders, Audubon Chicago Region. The coordinator can help you determine if your site is likely to qualify as an IBA and provide assistance with the nomination form.
- New, shorter IBA Nomination Form in pdf format. (print, fill, & mail)
- New, shorter IBA Nomination Form in word format. (type & e-mail: Save this file to your computer BEFORE filling out the form!)
- IBA Nomination Form Directions in PDF format. (Note that since the form is shortened you can skip some of the sections mentioned in the instructions.)
- Additional Resources:
How to Nominate a Migrant Site:
Please see the Migrant IBA's page for detailed information regarding nominating a site as an important stopover for warblers and other migrant species.
Please contact the IBA coordinator if you plan to submit an application, or for additional information:
Audubon Chicago Region
1718 Sherman Avenue #210
Evanston, IL 60201